Events honoring Martin Luther King Jr. | News
BIRMINGHAM, AL (WBRC)- Several events will be held Monday across Alabama to honor the legacy of the late Martin Luther King, Jr.
Thousands of people marched in an MLK Day parade in Tuscaloosa today. The march normally ends at Tuscaloosa City Hall, but this year, in the tradition of moving forward, people stopped at City Hall to pray. The parade then continued on to the transportation museum on Jack Warner Parkway where the celebration concluded.
In Birmingham, the city's 27th annual Unity Breakfast was held at the BJCC. It began at 7 a.m. in the North Exhibition Hall.
Another breakfast was held at Barber MotorSports Park in Leeds at 7:30 a.m.
In Anniston, a breakfast was held at 9 a.m. followed by a Youth Participation Day at the Anniston City Meeting Center.
Federal, state, and many local offices are closed today for the holiday.
Copyright 2013 WBRC. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Bibb Co. coach says losing 16-year-old player like a punch in the gut
- Jemison grade schooler wins Iron Bowl tickets in reading contest
- Man, 23, killed in wreck near West Blocton
- Clanton PD says efforts have reduced I-65 wrecks by 23 percent
- All lanes of I-65 in Chilton County reopened near mile marker 222