Proposed bill would legalize home brewing in Alabama | News
By Donna Wallace-King - email
MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA) - Home brewing is legal in 48 states and if an Alabama lawmaker gets his way, Alabama will be the 49th.
Representative Mac McCutcheon has proposed a bill that would allow Alabamians to brew up to 13 gallons of beer, wine, cider or mead every three months.
McCutcheon says the change is long overdue, "we have many, many people in this state that like to homebrew. There's a lot of interest in this and this is a hobby."
The legislation would prohibit making stronger types of alcohol such as bourbon, whiskey and vodka.
Home brewing is currently illegal Alabama and Mississippi.
Copyright 2013 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Bibb Co. coach says losing 16-year-old player like a punch in the gut
- Jemison grade schooler wins Iron Bowl tickets in reading contest
- Man, 23, killed in wreck near West Blocton
- Clanton PD says efforts have reduced I-65 wrecks by 23 percent
- All lanes of I-65 in Chilton County reopened near mile marker 222